In 2015 we carried out some major research into the Scottish legacy sector, against the backdrop of the independence debate.
We worked in collaboration with Smee & Ford, with the support of 16 UK charities.
The research explored a number of key questions:
- How large is the Scottish legacy ‘market’, and how fast is it growing?
- How do giving patterns compare to England & Wales?
- What are the obstacles to legacy giving, and how can they be overcome?
- Who are the main players? The main cause areas?
- What do Scottish people know and think about legacy giving?
- How do Scottish donors feel about UK vs local causes?
- Is a specific Scottish marketing strategy required, or will UK-wide messages and media suffice?
“By itself, ‘Scottish-ness’ is not considered important in strategy or messaging, but not all money going down south is.”
Scottish Legacy Giving 2015